Saturday, April 30, 2011

AIGA Student Portfolio Day!!!!
















All the sweat and blood of getting my portfolio ready in time for the AIGA Student Portfolio Day has paid off! I had the most amazing time today! I met some of LA most leading designers and got to meet with a bunch of them one-on-one. Below is a list of designers I got to speak with:

10am - Dominic Parero
10:30am - Ishmael Obrigon
11am - Vesna Petrovic
11:20am - Linda Weinman (THE creator of LYNDA.COM!)
(yummy lunch)
(Got to see Rebecca Mendez speak and talk about her amazing work)
2:20pm - Dave Stolte
3:00pm - Milka Broukhim
3:20pm - John Coy

After already speaking with 7 amazing designers, I decided just for the hell of it to walk by the room Rebecca Mendez was in, knowing full well she was completely booked up. As if by chance, the person she was suppose to see, hasn't showed up quite yet, and there was some confusion as to who should go next, so I ceased the opportunity and quickly snuck in and sat down with her!!!!! What she had to say was very enlightening. She praised most of my work, and gave me very good constructive criticism as well. She loved the directions that I was exploring both personally and technically and told me to push for more extremes and exploration. She has mentioned an upcoming show at the Pasadena Museum of Californian Art called "Getting Upper: Graphic Designers and Artists Reconsider the Alphabet". She recommended I go see it since I am so passionate about typography. I looked it up and found the info, the opening reception is on May 14th from 7-10pm, you can find the rest here:

Click Me

Overall it was a very positive day. I left with a sense of accomplishment. Everyone I spoke with praised my work, though they all mentioned things that I could improve on and I definitely feel that I still have TONS of learning to do to hopefully one day find my true voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment