Tuesday, May 17, 2011

John Coy at CSULA!

So last Thursday we had a guest speaker here as part of GAUGE guest speaker series. He was the legendary John Coy (as in Washington Mutual logo John Coy!) What he had to say really resonated with me especially during this point in my life. He made a great deal of enthuses on finding yourself as an artist, finding what you are good at and then really exploring it and developing it. He also talked about his creative process, how he tries to never overthink things and have it be more of an organic process. He says as long as you are thinking about it in the back of your head, things will happen and appear that will give you ideas on your project. I have always struggled with over analyzing things, which can be a bit destructive especially if I can't seem to come up with any good ideas. I really need to learn to take things easy, if things don't come to me right away, let it go, do something else and then come back to it at a later time when you might be more in-tuned with things. Hearing John speak I think really helped me, in terms of my pre-graduation anxiety. As I am getting ready to graduate a lot is going through my mind, like will I find work, will it be at a crappy place or a place where I can grow and learn in. All these things interfere with my self confidence, which I hate! I've decided to make a conscious effort to just relax, take it easy, and let things take it's course!

No comments:

Post a Comment