Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Making Dollar Bills More Interesting? At What Price? HA! (get it?! dollar bills, price?) lol hmph : \
Hi Kids!! Wanted to share something that was on my mind. :)
Having just seen a graffi exhibit at the Geffen, called Art In the Streets (which was actually pretty interesting, you can find out more here), I've been sensitive to the idea of public art and specifically that fine line between art and crime. Then I came across this. What might that be? Yes the dollar bill of course, oh the fun in defacing presidents! LOL Actually this is quite neat. Check out the rest of the bills here:
Click Me!
Do you guys think this is art or a crime? As visual artists, most of us will regard this as art, just like most of us regard graffiti as art, however....... according to US law, and I quote: "Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."
So now we come to the age old question of artistic freedom and doing things in the name of art. With graffiti, I can understand the argument of defacing someone elses property, however, money, it is something we earn, and I want do whatever the hell I want to do with them (and I usually do anyway), so why not make art with them? What are your thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment